Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Homemade Home Fries

On weekdays, I like to sleep in as late as possible. That doesn't usually leave me much time to get ready for work and make breakfast. Weekday breakfasts for me usually consist of bagels, cereal or toast. On the weekends, however, I like big breakfasts. Eggs, toast, sausage, home fries...the whole nine yards. I used to buy frozen hash browns, but then decided it couldn't be that hard to make my own. It wasn't. I expedite the process by microwaving the potatoes first, before I brown them in a skillet with some garlic and onions. This is one of the few times I've actually made up  my own recipe and I really like the result and hope that you do too!

Homemade Home Fries
1 medium Russet or Golden potato, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 onion, thinly sliced
1 tbs vegetable oil
salt & pepper to tast
1 tbsp parsley to garnish (optional)

  1. Spread the potato slices on a microwavable plate and microwave for about 3 minutes.
  2. Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat.
  3. Add garlic and onions to the pan and saute for 1-2 minutes.
  4. Add the potatoes to the pan and mix with the garlic and onions.
  5. Season potatoes with salt and pepper, then cook until nicely browned.
I live alone so this is a one to one and half serving recipe. Feel free to adjust as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment