Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Birthday Cake Post

My twenty-something birthday was this weekend. May 21st to be exact. The apocalypse didn't happen so I got to spend the day celebrating with my closest friends. I also made my own birthday cake. Milky Way Cake has become a must-have for my birthday. Everyone loves Milky Ways, but did you know you can bake with them too? This was the third year that I have made it and it's still as appealing as the first time around.

The cake calls for 11 Milky Way bars. That can get pretty expensive so plan ahead and get them when they're on sale. I got mine at CVS during a 2/$1 sale. You could also get fun sized Milky Ways or minis. Those can be a pain to unwrap but doable. Through experimenting and grueling math calculations I figured out that 3.5 fun sized Milky Ways equal to 1 regular sized bar. If you go with minis, then 7 minis equal to 1 regular sized bar. Now, without further ado, here is the recipe:

Milky Way Cake
8 Milky Way regular sized bar
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla

Melt the 8 candy bars and butter in pan. Remember to keep stirring the mixture so it doesn't burn the pan. Blend the remaining ingredients together in one bowl. Stir the candy mixture into the cake mixture. Put in greased and floured bunt cake pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour or until done.

Frosting
3 milky way bars
1/2 cups butter
4 teaspoons milk
1/2 pound powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt candy bars in pan. Put candy mixture into bowl. Beat the remaining
ingredients into the bowl slowly. Once it is all stirred together, pour over the cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment